Church Staff

 

Mr. William Jacavage, Director of Music

William J. Jacavage  joined the staff of St. John’s as Director of Music in May, 2004. Bill grew up in Shenandoah, PA. He is a graduate of Shenandoah Valley HS and the Pottsville Hospital School of Nursing. He began studying piano in 1971. Bill has taken piano and organ lessons from several musical educators. He was also a student at the Braun School of music in Pottsville, PA; studying voice under Mary Lou Koch. He started piano lessons at a young age and later received organ lessons.

In 8th grade the Rev. Msgr Neverauskas engaged Bill as St George Lithuanian Church’s organist for funeral liturgies. He was permitted to leave the parish school and serve as organist for funeral Masses. There were often as many as five funeral masses per week. At that time the congregation consisted of 1500 families.

In 1976 Bill was appointed organist-choir director of St George RC Church – his former home parish. Planning the liturgies for two Saturday Masses and four Sunday Masses has enabled to Bill to gain experience and competency in church music ministry. Although Bill’s professional education and training is in nursing, his avocation in music is a gift that he has shared in various denominations of churches. Bill has been the organist at several Lutheran congregations; most recently at Pine St. Lutheran Church in Danville and Saint John’s Lutheran in Shenandoah, Pa. While at St. John’s, Northumberland, Bill has directed the Senior Choir and Bell Choir and led the music in Vacation Bible School. He has also formed an Ensemble and introduced Melody Chimes. He has cultivated many in the congregation to do special music and has brought in many special soloists to join our worship service.

Bill resides in Bloomsburg. He is looking forward to many continuous years of service at Saint John’s and invites anyone that has an interest in any of our music ministries to contact him at the church.

Sue Billman  

Joined the staff at St. John’s in March 2011.  Sue grew up in Northumberland, and is married to Todd Billman.  After living in Texas, Germany, and Massachusetts, the family moved back home in 1994.  They currently reside in Sunbury.  Sue and Todd also have two children – Kaitlyn and Matthew, and two grandchildren Paige and Ryan.  In addition to enjoying her job here at St. John’s, Sue likes to craft, cook, and spend time with her family.

 

 

 

Church Council

Mary Siemsen (president), June Diehl (Vice President), Crystal Reed (Secretary), Trudy Baker, Lou VanGilder, Judy Stuck, Sandy Miller, Jim Williams, Carol Diehl, Linda Bingaman, Pastor Biesecker (not pictured).  Connie Lahr and Elaine Kohl were absent when the picture was taken.

Members are elected for a three-year term and have general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation.  Council members also serve on various church committees.  Regular monthly council meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.

 

Our Pastors

Rev. John P Shindle 1817-1823 and 1826-1829
Rev. Edward Myer 1839-1841
Rev. Reuben Wiser 1847-1848
Rev. J M Alleman 1848-1852
Dr. Peter Born D.D. 1852-1859
Rev. Peter Rizer 1859-1862
Rev. Mosheim Rhodes, D.D. 1862-1865
Rev. G W Hemperly 1865-1872
Rev. E E Berry 1872-1876
Rev. E B Killinger 1876-1884
Rev. Jacob A Koser 1885-1888
Rev. Adam N Warner 1888-1898
Rev. Chauncey R Botsford, D.D. 1898-1906
Rev. Harry C Michael, D.D. 1906-1916
Rev. Ira S Sassaman, D.D. 1916-1925
Rev. John B Kniseley, D.D. 1925-1934
Rev. Russell J Crouse 1935-1944
Rev. Paul F Curfman 1944-1961
Red. Ralph W Birk 1961-1966
Rev. Gilbert J Martin, S.T.M. 1966-1974
Rev. Alan J Kieffer 1974-1981
*also serving during this time period were Associate Pastor Christopher Anderson and Intern David McCarty
Rev. Arnold R Bensen 1981-1994
Rev. Dale Biesecker Jr.

Rev. MarthaSue Moll and Rev. Andrew Fitch

Rev. Patricia A. Pittsnogle

1995-2012

*served as interims 2012-2015

2015-